Messy Genes
I'm busy, busy, busy today. I have tons of things to finish up for Grant's party on Saturday. We're making tons of the goodies for the goody bag. It always seems like a good idea until it gets right down to time to get everything done. LOL But no other birthday boy will give out the same goodies as we'll have at Grant's dino bash.
Plus I'm starting to feel the stress of a messy house. You see my mom is a very neat and organized woman. Why oh why did I NOT get that gene?!? And my folks along with the in laws are coming for Grant's birthday. My dad won't really notice what the house looks like. I mean this is the man I got all my messy tendencies from! Plus he says that the real reason he's driving 2000+ miles to visit is to use our high speed internet. My folks now live in the boondocks of southern Missouri and they have only dial-up service, so Dad saves all the big service pack downloads for visits to our house.
I'm hoping that one of my boys got the recessive cleaning gene and that it's a late developing characteristic. They've both shown a love for books and Grant is showing Glayde's tactile issues. Glayde can't make a ham sandwich without washing his hands at least once during the process because he touched the ham and it was slimy. Now let me say this is can be ham fresh from the deli counter at Raley's and the man still washes his hands after handling the ham. Grant seems fine on handling his food but the other day hiking he obsessed about not falling in this little creek that he was crossing. Nope, he wasn't worried about falling and getting wet. He was worried about the algae. In his words "algae is slimy... slimy and sticky." Yep, that Glayde's genes all the way.
After Mom's visit, I'll be on the look out for either boys to develop a tendency to really clean or just put away some of the toys that are like land mines around our house. I can hope, can't I?!?
Plus I'm starting to feel the stress of a messy house. You see my mom is a very neat and organized woman. Why oh why did I NOT get that gene?!? And my folks along with the in laws are coming for Grant's birthday. My dad won't really notice what the house looks like. I mean this is the man I got all my messy tendencies from! Plus he says that the real reason he's driving 2000+ miles to visit is to use our high speed internet. My folks now live in the boondocks of southern Missouri and they have only dial-up service, so Dad saves all the big service pack downloads for visits to our house.
I'm hoping that one of my boys got the recessive cleaning gene and that it's a late developing characteristic. They've both shown a love for books and Grant is showing Glayde's tactile issues. Glayde can't make a ham sandwich without washing his hands at least once during the process because he touched the ham and it was slimy. Now let me say this is can be ham fresh from the deli counter at Raley's and the man still washes his hands after handling the ham. Grant seems fine on handling his food but the other day hiking he obsessed about not falling in this little creek that he was crossing. Nope, he wasn't worried about falling and getting wet. He was worried about the algae. In his words "algae is slimy... slimy and sticky." Yep, that Glayde's genes all the way.
After Mom's visit, I'll be on the look out for either boys to develop a tendency to really clean or just put away some of the toys that are like land mines around our house. I can hope, can't I?!?

6 Comments:
Dear daughter in-law I understand exactly how you feel.I come to see you Glayde and the boys. You will be very lucky if either of or both boys get the cleaning gene as I don't the girls don't my mother surely didn't but my mother in law had it when she would visit for three weeks I would fret intil I would get ill.So don;t worry be happy!!! Love you Betty mom
By
Anonymous, at 7/19/2005 10:04 PM
LOL! Stacy! As you know the clean gene is recessive in me too. The cleaning-the-house thing doesn't come naturally to me, so I have to work at it. I'm trying hard this week! LOL! You know my mom's the same way. No matter how hard I try not to, I stress when she's over, and the house isn't all perfect! LOL! Good luck with some of her "clean gene" rubbing off on the household. LOL! A girl can dream! Thanks for the laugh. I cracked up about your dad downloading the big service packs at your house!
By
Anonymous, at 7/19/2005 11:15 PM
Stacy, I so hear you!
Try not to stress, and know that all the important things will fall in place!
By
Becki, at 7/20/2005 6:58 AM
You know what? The cleaning is irrelevant. There will always be more dust bunnies and piles of dog hair here. Who cares? I used to sweat it but not anymore. Sure I have to do the stuff to keep the place groovin' but I'm not gonna worry over silly things that way! Loved reading this!
By
Anonymous, at 7/20/2005 10:56 AM
Each day as I leave my bathroom, I think to myself "gosh, I hope nothing bad happens to me today (i.e. long term hospital stay or worse) so I can get this room cleaned, cuz if anyone else had to walk in here--eeeeuuuuwwww". And each day I ignore it, thinking nothing bad will happen and I can take care of it "later". Much later!
I find that my best cleaning happens right before I know I'm having guests--then I speed clean with great purpose, and it looks/smells/feels good! LOL!
Hope it all comes together Stacy, and that you can have some fun too!
By
Anonymous, at 7/20/2005 12:23 PM
um,(raising my hand slowly) i wash my hands after handling ham. lol
By
TheCatLord, at 7/20/2005 10:34 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home